Crock Pot “Refried” Beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water
Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into crock pot. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours (or until beans are completely cooked), adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
Crock Pot Stuffing
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 4 cups chicken broth, AS NEEDED
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick spray
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Start with 2 cups of broth and….Pour in enough broth to moisten (this will depend on the type of bread crumbs you use – you don’t want it to be soupy, just moist like stuffing should be), and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to crock pot, and cover. Place a clean kitchen towel between lid and crock pot to help absorb liquid, and change out if it bec0mes too saturated.
- Cook on HIGH for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to LOW, and cook for 4 to 8 hours. Keep an eye on the stuffing – add more broth if it is too dry, and cook uncovered at the end if it is too moist.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 cans (18 ounces each) sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Lightly grease crock pot.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, 1/3 cup butter, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Beat in orange juice, eggs and milk. Transfer this mixture to crock pot.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour and 2 tablespoons butter. Spread the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Serves 6-8 people.
Crock Roasted Garden Veggies
• 1 onion, cut into large chunks
• 2 yellow or red peppers, cut into chunks
• 5 oz. green beans
• 2-3 medium zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 3 inch x ½ inch pieces
• 2 tsp. minced garlic
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon basil
• ¼ teaspoon celery salt
1- Put all veggies in crock pot. Add oil, basil and celery salt. Toss to coat evenly, Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until veggies are tender.