Crock Pot Maid-Rite Style (loose meat) Sandwiches
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Large hamburger buns
Add the first nine ingredients to the crock pot. Stir together to combine ingredients and break up the ground beef.
Cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Stir occasionally to combine ingredients as they cook and to keep the beef from clumping together.
Serve on hamburger buns (like you would a Sloppy Joe) with pickles and mustard for the authentic Maid-Rite way!
Crockin’ Pork Tenderloin with Sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 4 small to medium onions, cut into quarters
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into halves
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-8 grinds of black pepper
- 1-2 27 oz. cans of sauerkraut (two cans if you like sauerkraut…one wasn’t enough for me!)
Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron (or other) skillet until very hot. Put pork tenderloin into skillet and brown on all sides. Place browned pork tenderloin into large oval crock pot. Surround tenderloin with the onion quarters. Sprinkle minced garlic on top. Cover tenderloin with potatoes. Use black pepper grinder and do 6-8 twists of black pepper. Cover potatoes with sauerkraut. Place lid on crock pot and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Crock Pot Grinders
One round loaf Artisan Italian Bread
18 slices Provolone
18 slices Mortadella
18 slices sweet or hot Capicola
18 slices Genoa Salami
Sweet pepper rings (if desired)
Thin onion slices
Oregano and basil or Italian Seasoning
Large 6 quart oval crock pot
Slice bread 13 times, almost all the way through but leaving 1/2 inch space at the bottom. Layer three slices of cheese and top with 3 slices each of Mortadella, Capicola, and Salami. Top with pepper rings (if desired) and onions. Sprinkle with Italian Seasonings and repeat 5 times. Fold each bundle in half and tuck down between every other slice of bread to create 6 sandwiches. The sandwich may have “arched” its back, gently push down and wrap sandwich tightly with one large piece of aluminum foil. Then wrap a second piece of foil over the first piece. Place in crock pot on top of a small aluminum foil pan or balls of foil – do not allow wrapped grinder to touch bottom of pan. Pour in 1/4 cup of water into bottom of crock pot (it does nothing to the sandwich since it is wrapped up so tightly in foil – just helps to keep the cooking temperature a bit moist). Cover and cook on LOW for 2-4 hours. To serve cut each sandwich apart and drizzle the insides lightly with olive oil. Makes six sandwiches with the center two being quite large in size.
(courtesy of bigredkitchen.com - check out the original recipe write-up with fantastic photos and directions here)
California Tamale Pie
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package chili seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) black or pinto beans, drained
- 1 pound whole kernel corn, frozen, drained
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) ripe olives, sliced and drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) mild green chiles, diced
In skillet, brown ground beef until crumbly, and drain.
In large bowl, mix corn meal, milk, and egg. Add drained meat, dry chili seasoning mix, seasoned salt, tomatoes, corn, beans, chiles, and olives. Pour into crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle cheese over top. Cook another 5 minutes. Garnish with dollop of sour cream if desired.
Crock Pot Jambalaya
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 – 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 3/4 cups long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart or bigger) crock pot. Cook on LOW for 5 hours.
Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to HIGH and cook for 30 minutes more, or until rice is fully cooked. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Crock Pot Squash Casserole / Stuffing
- 2 lbs. yellow squash, zucchini, or Yugoslavian Finger Squash (Danish Squash) cut into bite size pieces (around 6 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8-10 oz. bread crumbs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 package Shake & Bake Italian Seasoning
1. Combine onion, squash, shredded carrots, and soup in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix sour cream and flour together. Then spoon into veggie bowl and mix all together.
3. Melt stick of butter, and toss bread crumbs with butter. Add dry package of Shake & Bake seasoning to bread crumb/butter mixture and toss, so that crumbs get seasoning on them.
4. Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Put half of the bread crumbs on the bottom of the crock pot, then put squash mixture on top of the crumbs. Put remaining bread crumbs on top on squash mixture.
6 Cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until squash is cooked.
Meal can be easily made vegetarian by substituting cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken soup.
Crock Pot Hoppin’ John
- 1 package dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 4 cups water
Use a large crock pot. Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in a bunch of water and drain well in the morning and rinse. Put the black-eyed peas directly into your crock pot. If you don’t have time to soak the black-eyed peas overnight, put them in a pot with a bunch of water and boil rapidly on the stove for 10 minutes. Then turn the heat off, and cover the pot. Let it sit for one hour, then drain and rinse and put into the crock pot.
Using a frying pan, cook the bacon until it is almost done. Then add the onion and garlic, and cook all until onions are done. Dump everything from the frying pan (including whatever bacon grease there is!) into the crock pot. Add the four cups of water, stir in the rice and seasonings. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 12 hours, or until the beans are soft. Check a few times while cooking to make sure you have enough liquid in the pot – add a little more if necessary to keep the mixture moist. In the end it shouldn’t be soupy, but should be moist. Stir well before serving.
Crock Pot Pepper Steak
2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
2 cloves minced garlic
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cube beef bouillon
1/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips with the minced garlic. Transfer to crock pot.
- Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the crock pot with meat. Stir in onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1 ounce package dry Ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril’s Italian Essence seasoning
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, cut into pieces
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Melt the butter in a large skillet saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the garlic, Italian Essence, onion and mushrooms.
- Saute until mushrooms and onions are almost done, and then place chicken breasts in skillet and brown slightly.
- Remove everything from skillet and place into crock pot.
- Combine salad dressing mix, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth in a saucepan and heat over medium heat (stirring often) until everything is well-combined.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW setting until chicken is tender, about 4-5 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles.
Super Easy Crock Pot Chili Dogs
- 1 pound hot dogs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 15 oz. cans chili with beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 pound cheese, shredded
- Hot dog buns
Combine all ingredients except buns and cheese in crock pot. Stir and cover. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. Place cooked hot dog on bun, spoon some chili on top, and add shredded cheese.