Crock Pot “Refried” Beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water
Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into crock pot. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours (or until beans are completely cooked), adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.